Thursday 4 August 2011

Pulut Inti

Pulut inti is another famous nonya dessert. Pulut means glutinous rice and inti means the insides. The glutinous rice is infused with coconut milk and steamed until it is soft while the inti is made from grated coconut cooked in palm sugar and lightly toasted until golden brown.

To finish it off, the kuih is wrapped delicately in banana leaves with the inti slightly exposed as if to say come and eat me.

I love eating this kuih, it is sooooo.....fragrant and so beautiful to look at.

This kuih can be found anywhere in most of the markets in Penang. When I was growing up, there was this ah pek who would ride on his bicycle around our housing estate selling his nonya kuihs. My ah ma always bought pulut inti from him.

Recently I have been researching kuih recipes on the internet and stumbled on pages after pages of beautiful pictures of the pulut inti. It dawned on me that I haven't eated this yummy dessert for the longest time so, I decided to make this beautiful dessert for my family and guess what, they loved it as much I am do.



No comments:

Post a Comment