Friday 12 August 2011

Kaya

Cooking kaya is one of my favourite things to do. The aroma that fills the house is beyond words. The smell is so tantalizing, coconut, caramalised sugar and pandan leaves. Wow, that brings me back to the days when I would go to the kopitiam with my ah kong and there I would see the ah pek and ah soh ordering black coffee with toasted kaya bread.

Kaya is one of the more versatile food. You can eat it for breakfast with a toasted bread, on a piece of biscuit or you can eat it with Nonya kuihs like Pulut Tai Tai. Let me tell you a secret, when I was young, I would just scoop the kaya and eat it on it's own. There, I said it, no wonder my ah ma always complained why the kaya was disappearing.

My mum has a ladies night today, so she has asked me to prepare pulut tai tai. Kaya is a must to go with pulut tai tai.

Kaya is very simple to make, it just takes damn long to cook (1 to 1.5 hours) and you will need to constantly stir the mixture as you don't want it to burn.

There is also only 3 ingredients, sugar, coconut cream and eggs (5 to be exact). All you need to do is mix them all in a bowl and put it on top of a double boiler and stir away for 1 to 1.5 hours.

Let me share with you what I did.....

Ingredients

Mix all ingredients together






Put the mixture on top of a double boiler


Stir away........, the mixture will slowly thickened





Once it is thickened and lumpy, stop cooking. If you like your kaya smooth, put it through the blender.

If you like your kaya a bit more golden brown, take about 70g sugar and slowly disolve the sugar until it is a rich dark golden colour. Mix the melted sugar into your kaya.

Now, slice a big fat piece of bread, toast it and get ready to enjoy your home made kaya.


I have been making more kayas and now package them to share with all of you in these 300ml containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment